Elder Soutas

Elder Soutas

Monday, November 14, 2016

the Divine Gift of Gratitude

So I am basically just going to copy and paste  emails from now on that I send to my mission president if they're not too confidential.

"This someone called the cops on us for knocking on doors too late thinking we were soliciting. A cop searched for us and talked to us. He was really chill, but he got down our information and told us we needed a permit from the county to go door to door. 
It took us a couple of days to get the whole city permit thing figured out. First we went to the county jail and they said that we did indeed need a permit. Then we went to the police department as they directed to and they said that we didn't even need to have a permit and so I guess everything is fine now. We are not sure why one of their officers told us that we needed a permit and his own department said we didn't. 

At first we weren't really sure what to think, but now we think maybe there is a divine involvement or some explanation for all of this because a week earlier we had been contemplating ways to do service in the community and one of the was called "Shop with a Cop." And so as a consequence we found out all of the information and signed up for this service activity (which is where we shop for Christmas gifts for other people). So maybe the Lord wants us to do that. Who knows for sure. 

We did some other service this week too for the animal shelter. We each walked one dog and my dog was a hairless, scaredy dog that was like 5 pounds! It wouldn't even walk because it was cold and terrified of Elder Kama's big dog. I had to practically force the dog to walk. It had no problem walking back to the shelter though since Elder Kama was behind us.

This week was good. a lot of good things happened that I hope to remember. Being a district leader of course carries some more responsibility but I enjoy it. I like making assignments and asking God for inspiration. Our first district meeting went really great and the spirit was really strong. the zone leaders even said that I nailed it! Of course it was nothing I really did. The district seems to be doing really well. The Mattoon Sisters had a baptism this weekend! I had a chance to interview their candidate, and it lasted an entire hour because he was about 72 years old and had a lot of stories he probably could've kept to himself. A lot of people in Illinois have no filter on their minds. I hope I made the right decision to pass him. He had a hard time remember some of the doctrines but I decided that was a result of him being old. It seemed to me that he had truly repented of all my sins. 

And Effingham is working really hard. Elder Durrant is no longer here but we got Elder Merril and he seems like a pretty good missionary. He was companions with "my dad" Elder Lovik (the one who trained me). Elder Lovik will be going home after this transfer. 

 As for me and Elder Kama, we aren't doing too bad ourselves. There was a few setbacks with a couple of our investigators this week, particularly with Brent being basically forced to postpone his baptism again! Other than that there were some really cool things like our recent convert Mashell being healed from a blessing in the emergency room. The zone leaders gave her the blessing. She bore her testimony about it on Sunday saying that as soon as they left she began to feel better! Also our investigator Julie who is getting married to a member-- Brother Fulk-- came to church. They are having a civil wedding at the church on Dec 10. No baptismal date yet. We had dinner and a lesson at the Rigdons, a great family in the area who is related to a lot of people. 

Which comes to another problem which is trypical of branches. It was kind of good that Brent didn't have his baptism yesterday because there was a lady in the branch who is related to a lot of people in the branch who got up to "bear her testimony" and told the branch that we were the worst people ever. So yes, God knows what he is doing. Glad Brent didn't get baptized under those circumstances. I hope Julie wasn't too perturbed.

Our goals for this week as a companionship are to be more encouraging to each other and to be more grateful in any circumstance. We've been listening to a lot of talks on Gratitude that we made on a CD. My favorite one is by Thomas S. Monson: "The Divine Gift of Gratitude." Gratitude is one of my fave topics right.

He says and I quote: "it is my prayer that in addition to all else for which we are grateful, we may ever reflect our gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His glorious gospel provides answers to life’s greatest questions: Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where do our spirits go when we die? That gospel brings to those who live in darkness the light of divine truth.

He taught us how to pray. He taught us how to live. He taught us how to die. His life is a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved.

Ultimately, He stood alone. Some Apostles doubted; one betrayed Him. The Roman soldiers pierced His side. The angry mob took His life. There yet rings from Golgotha’s hill His compassionate words: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

Who was this “man of sorrows, … acquainted with grief”? “Who is this King of glory,” this Lord of lords? He is our Master. He is our Savior. He is the Son of God. He is the Author of Our Salvation. He beckons, “Follow me.” He instructs, “Go, and do thou likewise.” He pleads, “Keep my commandments.”

Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His words. By so doing, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude."

I felt so much gratitude for the Atonement when I listened to this talk and in our district meeting. It was kind of amazing. As I listened to it I became aware of my ingratitude which resulted in me having more gratitude. So I think it is true when we recognize our ingratitude we simultaneously are filled with more gratitude. Correct me if I'm wrong. But this was a really special experience for me that I feel like I should share.

In your email you asked what my advice would be to missionaries. It would be this:

LIVE YOUR MISSIONARY LIFE IN SUCH A WAY TO REFLECT YOUR GRATITUDE FOR THE LORD AND FOR HIS TENDER MERCIES UPON YOU AND THOSE WHO YOU SERVE. DONT LET FEAR GET IN THE WAY.

I honestly can't think of a better advice to give someone since I know that the times my mission have been most rewarding are when I am the most grateful. My biggest fear is forgetting the Lord and his blessings to me and failing to recognize his holy hand in my life. And having this fear has led to other fears such as hesitation to share the gospel because when I'm not grateful why would I want to share something that I feel isn't making me happy (at that moment)? To overcome that fear I have had to constantly remind myself of how God has blessed me and how he is blessing me even when it doesn't seem like he is. I want to be like Moroni whose "heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people. I love him so much and wish I would feel this way more often. There is no greater feeling than that of gratitude. I will try to do better at this.

THANK YOU President Bateman! I am so grateful for all that you do to watch over this mission.

With gratitude,

Elder Soutas"

well I'm getting kicked off. I wish I could write more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment