Elder Soutas

Elder Soutas

Monday, January 25, 2016

Teaching in Springfield


Elder Petersen  and I had a great week! We started teaching the Uhe family this week.The family is on date for baptism March 5. Yesterday they fed us dinner and we had a lesson with them. They really enjoyed church. Rodger looks like and acts like a Deacon already--that is, a well-behaved deacon. In our lesson yesterday, we noticed how he had created his own tabs for all of the books in the Book of Mormon, and he highlighted a verse beforehand in 3 Nephi that we shared about baptism! 
At church, Gretchen and Rob (the parents) got to know quite a few of the members (The Flahrety's, Whitings, etc). Gretchen made the comment that she loves the way the sacrament is done, and also how the children, though squirmy and loud, are allowed to stay in the meeting rather than be put in a nursery. Ingrid and Leisel both enjoyed Young Womens it sounds like. The ward did a great job fellowshipping. I think the auxillaries are planning on inviting kids to scout and stake activities/mutual. The Uhe family continues to amaze me. They arrived at church 15 minutes early and were already sitting reverently in the pews. They just do everything right. Such a terrific family!

Our other solid investigator is Carl. Brother West has taken Carl under his wing. He takes him to home teaching appointments and to all of his recovering alcoholic meetings. In his prayer, Carl said something along the lines of "Lord, be with me as I learn from the missionaries and read from the book of mormon so that I may soon join your church." He's read in the past week 1 Nephi1- 2 Nephi 10. He came to church again and is looking really solid at this point. He's been sober for over 10 days now. 
This week we should be setting a date with him.

i DID get to shake Elder Rasband's hand . he asked me where I was from and I just said Utah. not even south jordan utah. His countenace is definitely like lightning. 

We had the worldwide missionary broadcast on Wednesday. I enjoyed the mission broadcast, particularly about what Elder Bednar had to say. I always enjoy what he has to say. i don't have my notes on me, but he said something to the affect that we need to let our investigators identify when they are feeling the spirit themselves. We shouldn't point it out to them, but we can help them recognize the spirit by asking them inspired questions. Our job is to help them act and be agents, not to be acted upon. That is something I want to work on. I feel like a lot of our lessons we are treating people as objects, rather than agents. Our job is just to invite and entice, and we should never get in the way because the Holy Ghost is the teacher, the revelator, and the testator. We can get in the way if we are not worthy. We need to be EXACTLY OBEDIENT or the we will get in the way. Also, I thought it was cool how teaching is more than just speaking, it is eyes to see and ears to hear. We need to allow the holy ghost to guide our utterances rather than rely on the arm of the flesh. i need to do a better job of discerning the investigators while my companion is teaching. I also need to refine my teaching skills by practicing teaching. I loved the mission conference! Now I just need to remember to put it into practice. 

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I copied and pasted all of it that I sent to my mission president. i am being rushed right now and need to wrap up. I love you all!

Overlooking Lake Springfield:








No comments:

Post a Comment