Elder Soutas

Elder Soutas

Monday, March 7, 2016

Beautiful Baptism








Heyo family-o,


We had a really great week with the baptism/confirmation and everything.

We had some other cool experiences that I'd like to relate first though. 

On Tuesday night, we ate dinner at the McChensney's. Brother McChesney was born blind. I also learned that he had his eyes removed and replaced with plastic,  eyes. He is really, really smart. He can quote like scriptures left and right. It is also way cool to see him read the scriptures, because it's all in braille, and he reads very fast! But after their daughter Laura (who has cerebral palsy) made us dinner, Bro. McChesney felt inspired to come with us to go see a man named Brother Wheeler who hasn't been to church because some unkind things were said to him and such. But Brother McChesney right from the get-go just started bearing his testimony and pleading for Bro. Wheeler to come back. He said that he isn't ready to come back yet though (sorry if that was anti-climatic), but it was really cool to see a blind man full of the holy ghost. Disabled people are very inspiring to me, especially Joe! 

The next day we had Brother Burshears drive us down to Virden and Girard to see some less active people. His like 75 years old recently reactivated member. He's a trooper! He drove us down in his awesome Dodge Truck. He also told us that he's won over 30 car shows with his yellow Dodge Charger. I wish we could have ridden in it. But anyway, he got in and out of his car several times to try to see some people. It took quite a while because he takes tiny little baby steps since he's pretty frail. It was very courageous of him. He is a very soft-spoken guy and very willing to do anything you ask of him,  and  he wants to make it to the temple soon. It was very nice of him to take us because we cover such a large area now and don't have any extra miles. 


Saturday, was the baptism. We woke up early to fill the font. We tried our best to keep the water warm, but it ended up being really cold. For the whole program, Elder Peterson and I just had to sit back and relax because we didn't perform any of the ordinances or give any of the talks. President and Sister Morgan and President Giraud-Carrier of the stake presidency attended the baptism. I did however get to conduct the music. Their good friend John Sorenson (who is a really rich guy who flew in on his private jet) baptized all 5 of them. He is a really neat guy, very spiritual guy. It was so cool to see them all get baptized. Elder Peterson and I got to be witnesses to make sure it was done correctly. They were all performed correctly on the first try. They all got goosebumps because of the water that was so cold though. It was touching to see Rob's eyes water as he watched his wife and kids get baptized (youngest to oldest). Rob reminds us as I've said before, "as a little child." He is so eager and such a great father. They are all just so pure. It was a very joyful experience for me. 

The next day was the confirmations. They all showed up! Had no doubt that they would. John Sorenson did all five of the confirmations and we got to stand in the circle. It was really cool and the spirit was very strong. . Other people in the circle were Vic Lundquist (also a very successful guy--the one who introduced them a lot to the church while skiing at Deer Valley), Kevin Anderson and Bishop Monsivais. Kevin, John, and Vic are all from Laguna Beach, CA. 

During the sacrament hymn I began to tear up and had a hard time singing. It must have been the spirit or something because I started to bawl again. The U family and their Methodist Grandma, Mary Ann, sat behind us. I could hear their grandma asking a bunch of questions which was good. 
After the sacrament it was testimony time. I got up after Elder Peterson and bore a testimony. I'm not really sure what I said but it must have been good because I lot of people told me after that it brought tears to their eyes. Sister U came up and told me how I had her mother  in tears almost. Before she told me that, Mary Ann said that she'd hope to see us again sometime. I think she will be a member some day. She has the light of Christ in her just like Gretchen. Also after the sacrament,  it was really cool because John Sorenson came up to me and said how much he enjoyed my testimony and he was getting really emotional. He said something along the lines of If I work my absolute hardest for the rest of my mission and don't see any more baptisms, you fulfilled your mission in baptizing such a wonderful family. He said "don't you get discouraged," and with tears in his eyes and grasping my arm and hand with both of his hands, he told me that "I been greatly touched by your service and I will never forget you. "You are a great example of what it means to be meek." I wish I could have remembered the exact words he said because it really meant a lot to me. I have seen how great an impact you can have by sharing a heartfelt testimony. Not only did it affect him, but there was also a man from Italy who recently moved to Springfield. He attended the sacrament meeting and wants to come again next week. We got his number and everything. Sister Giraud Carrier knows a lot of languages and talked to him in his native tongue. He tried speaking Greek to me and I him I don't know how to speak greek. We asked him what brought him to our church, and he said "Jesus Christ brought me here." Hopefully we will pick him  up soon. We called him on the phone and asked us if he had been baptized. He said "yes, but can I get baptized again?" That was really cool of him to say. Hopefully we will get to teach him soon. He wouldn't give us his address yet, but we know what street he lives on. 

Well I've got to go. People are waiting on me. 

I love you all. 


Elder Soutas 
















No comments:

Post a Comment