Elder Soutas

Elder Soutas

Monday, February 15, 2016

Presidents Day in Lincoln Land :)

Heyo familio!

Had a pretty good week. 

On Friday we combined our lunch and dinner hour went to the Lincoln Presidential Library because it was his birthday and admission was freeee! There was some cool stuff in there. I saw the actual copy of the Gettysburg address. Unfortunately we couldn't take any photos of it. I want to go back so badly because there wasn't near enough time. The whole time I was just looking for evidence for Lincoln and Mormon stuff because of Mom's book that I read about Lincoln checking out the Book of Mormon. I forgot most of the things I read in that book unfortunately. I really want to read it again but unfortunately can't. Remember how he checked out the Book of Mormon for 8 months and such and even there were latter day saints passing through that probably had interaction with Abraham Lincoln? It's all hypothetical but very interesting.

 Here are some other interesting things about Lincoln

"I am here by the vote of the people, and the hand of the almighty God." Heber J. Grant in 1940 said that "all Latter-day Saints believe that Abraham Lincoln was raised up and inspired of God. We honor Lincoln because he honored God in saving the Union and the Constitution."

Reed Smoot, an apostle and the first Mormon senator said in a speech on the senate floor on Lincoln's Birthday in 1929:"It was Lincoln's faith that made Lincoln a guide, a prophet, and a seer."

Lincoln was often noted for doing God's will. He said  "when I find out God's will on the matter of slavery, that will I do."

Lincoln also was known to call the nation to repentance.


Before Lincoln's election to presidency he ran against Stephen A. Douglas and he said with tears streaming down his eyes:

''I know there is a God and that he hates injustice and slavery, and if he has a work for me--and I believe he has--I know I will not fail....I may not live to see the end but I will be vindicated... but these men who are voting for the promulgation of slavery to continue, these ministers will see that they have not read their bibles aright."

interesting fact, Lincoln did not draft a single Mormon in the Civil War. The saints obviously fled west and Lincoln may have protected them from the civil war which would. Lincoln probably also appeared in the St. George Temple as is commonly known:

the founding fathers and the presidents of the united states (except for 3) said to Wilford Woodruff

 ‘You have had the use of the Endowment House for a number of years, and yet nothing has ever been done for us. We laid the foundation of the government you now enjoy, and we never apostatized from it, but we remained true to it and were faithful to God.’ These were the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and they waited on me for two days and two nights. I thought it very singular, that notwithstanding so much work had been done, and yet nothing had been done for them. The thought never entered my heart, from the fact, I suppose, that heretofore our minds were reaching after our more immediate friends and relatives. I straightway went into the baptismal font and called upon Bro. McCallister to baptize me for the signers of the Declaration of Independence, and fifty other eminent men, making one hundred in all, including John Wesley, Columbus, and others; I then baptized him for every President of the United States, except three; and when their cause is just, somebody will do the work for them”
Inline image 1


I love studying the civil war and Lincoln. I love history and Lincoln! So fascinating!  It's so cool

But back to missionary stuff....


I went on exchanges with the other Elder Petersen in Virden, Illinois on Tuesday and Wednesday.This little kid threw a snowball at me and said some profane words which I cannot repeat. Such profanity for such a young kid. it was sooo freezing that day. Luckily I bought a new scarf which I used as a facemask. hardly anybody answered the door that day. I could've easily gotten discouraged like I'm prone to do, but i sang some hymns aloud to keep my spirits up. When nothing is happening you've got to do something. That day I was thinking how I wish I could be as good as the missionaries in the Book of Mormon. I believe I can if I consecrate myself. 

I had the though this week that I need to center my teaching more on the Savior. I feel like as members of the church we don't talk about him enough. So I am committing myself to make sure I speak of the savior no matter what principle of the gospel I am teaching and always have him on my lips. It is so easy to forget about him when you go throughout the day. 

So a little update on the U's. They're still doing terrific. On Thursday we taught them the law of tithing. R said, and these are his words:"i am fully prepared to pay tithing." Before the lesson we  were a little worried about teaching tithing because they are really rich. But they had no problem with it and all of the kids want to pay tithing too! I felt to mention during the lesson that the kids could pay tithing too and Rodger blurted "Hey I was going to ask that but I thought it would be a stupid question." I always get a kick out of Rodger. He reminds me of Brycen. Rodger's twin, Leisel is 12 years old and I think i may have found Brycen's future wife. haha. She is such a cutie a little bashful. Whenever we ask her to say the prayer she declines because of her shyness. She also corrects people when they say replacement words like Oh my gosh, even. that reminded me of Brycen when he'd get upset when we said suck or shut-up haha. 

On Saturday we taught them the sabbath day. We knew this one would be a little bit of a challenge because Leisel has championship swimming that is on Sunday every year. In our apartment we found this binder full of cool object lessons. it said to get a bowl of icecream and ask "who likes sundaes?" Then we put ketchup, mustard, and relish on it and then asked them "Well don't you like ketchup and mustard"? They responded, "I don't like mustard." They were supposed to say "yeah I like those things but only on hotdogs, not on sundaes!" the point was to show that some activities aren't inherently bad bu are not appropriate for Sundays. They loved it. Leisel daringly ate a spoonful of the hotdog sunday. She's a goon. Regarding sundays, Rob asked the question, "What about people who work on Sundays like Steve Young?" As I mentioned, Leisel sometimes has swimming matches on sundays and Gretchen seemed to be okay with her doing that, but Rob seemed to disagree as he said "that would have to be something we pray about." Rob is such a boss! 

Yesterday was unusual. It snowed only a couple of inches and church was cancelled. I didn't know church could be cancelled. But it was, and so unfortunately the Uhe's didn't get to come to church. Our vehicles were grounded for a few hours and so we set out on foot in the snow. We walked a couple of miles to our bishop's house. he wasn't home, and so we decided we'd borrow a snowshovel from their neighbors, and as we started towards their next door neighbor out walked a man named Tony with his dogs. I asked him if we could borrow his shovel. He said that we could even though he was about to do his own. We offered to shovel his too though he was reluctant at first. We ended up doing it and his cute wife tried to pay us. We declined of course. Afterwards we had a brief chat on their doorsteps and invited them to Meet the Mormon's night which is this Friday. We also invited them to take the lessons and they said they'd have to think about it and ask Jake (Bishop) about it. 

Yesterday I read a great truth in the teachings of George Albert Smith:

"i would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather love them into doing what's right."

That really is a great truth. in order for righteousness to be brought to pass we need to love people into the church or when we want to help people make the right choices. But i'm learning patience, and I think often of my patriarchal blessing which says to be patient when others don't apply themselves as they should. 

Last night, we also met with the U's again. We went over the baptismal interview questions. They all seem to understand everything really well. At one point we brought up how Rob is a great example of becoming like a little child. after talking about that, Rob and Gretchen mentioned how much of an impact their decision to be baptized will have on their future posterity. The spirit of love was very strong as they said that. Elder Petersen didn't know how to respond to that. They also mentioned how Rob's parents are not supportive of them being baptized at all, though Gretchen's parents are. After they made some chocolate chip cookies which I had like 7 of them. 

I would like to thank you Mother for sending me that talk about Nephi. It's been pretty helpful. I've started writing down my negative thoughts and trying to replace them. It can be super hard though especially when it's just one though after the other, but I really enjoyed that and know that is what is going to help me the most. I found that singing hymns helps a lot too, that is for sure. 


my ponderizing scripture for the week is:

Romans 1 : 16-17

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ. For it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth. To the Jew first and also to the Greek. 

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed fromfaith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (verse 17 is a JST)


Love you all Have a grrrrrreat week

Elder Soutas


No comments:

Post a Comment